Skip to main content

Super Saturday Round Up 1- Ted, Aliens and Web Designer?

A stunningly, captivatingly innovative and original new feature for you, my lucky, faithful followers! (Stan Lee eat your heart out!)
That's right, from now on you're getting a weekly does of me, each Saturday, summarising my adventurous and crazy exploits. I mean, my weeks are just so exciting that it makes the characters I'm drawing seem boring.
As most people who know me personally know that I do a lot more than what I post up and that I haven't been giving the blog as much time as it deserves so your weekly wondrous Super Saturday Round Up will show features that you wouldn't usually be seeing, albeit in a slightly shortened manner.

What can you expect in your succulent, stylish and sexy Super Saturday Round Ups?

  • A heads up on anything I'm working on/finished
  • Any quick movie reviews that I don't have time to post in full
  • Anywhere nice I've been
  • What career I'm pursuing that day
  • Competitions (stay tuned)
  • Oh you get the idea, it's anything interesting, that I don't have time to write up in a full post!
So moving right along to our first edition, tentatively titled....

 Super Saturday Round Up 1
Ted, Aliens and Web Design

Ted
When you hear the sound of thunder...

So first on the list is movie Ted. It's hard to know where to start when reviewing comedies, especially one as Ted, the child's toy with a bong and the vocabulary of the Urban Dictionary. Everyone's sense of humour is different and a lot of people won't like how offensive and crude the humour is in Ted. Personally, it worked for me and I think its controversy is what's made it so successful. It had to be extreme to be noticed and I didn't see any of the jokes fall flat on their face, in what was a packed out cinema, so fair play to it. The story was tight, thankfully they made the talking toy public knowledge, without spending the whole movie trying to cover him up or see people's shocked reactions, meaning that they could focus on the comedy and character development. Likeable cast, good performances all round, slightly questionable CGI but it didn't matter too much.

Definitely recommended, but not for the easily offended.
7.6/10

Summer Smash Movie Art Competition

I'm still licking my wounds from that close defeat in the last Character Battle Royale Tournament link but I'm back for more. The newest Outcast art tournament pits fighters against each other in one-on-one duels to the death, but the topic is a randomly selected movie. We can choose to do anything, a movie poster, a character study or a comic style page. In my first match I've been pitted against dany2069, a great artist and the subject is Aliens. Apart from Prometheus and Alien Vs. Predator I'm a complete stranger to the Alien movies so I've got my homework to do before deciding what to draw =/ The sketch here is my last Alien drawing when it came up as a weekend sketch challenge on Outcast a few months back. Just a quickie last time, will have to up my game. Expect a post with whatever I come up with later on in the week.

Web and Graphic Design?

This week saw me start a job, (yes mum, a proper job...) as web designer for Bond Search and Selection. They're a recruitment company that might help you get a job rather than spending all day every day reading my blog- check them out! link So I'm now in charge of researching what features work and are most popular, choosing the layout of the site, making backgrounds, buttons, logos, text.... just everything apart from the programming. And then when I'm finished that it's on to sorting the Facebook, Twitter and LinkedIn pages and eventually the mobile site.... phew! I also just finished a logo commission for EightMedia, so I haven't had a break! What's that? You want a preview? Oh ok then....    There. That, my friend, is three white pixels and about the extent of what I'm allowed to leak at the moment.



Our film Desperate Times link was featured at the Film Devour short film festival down at the Black Box in Belfast on Wednesday Night. Twas a Great night for everyone, some unbelievable local films and we ours got a nice wee reception. Will give y'all a heads up for the next one we can all have a nice cosy get together.


Another feature of your dastardly dazzling Super Saturday Round Up will be a summary of what projects I have in the pipeline, making you gag with anticipation.

Current projects

Riddick Vector Piece











Bane Pencil Study
















  • A private digital and pencil commission for my boss.... No pressure or work could get very uncomfortable....

  • A comic book page for a collaboration on Outcast Studios

  • The Aliens Summer Smash competition piece

  • The Bond Search & Selection website 2.0

  • A Solid Snake request

  • A new banner advertising the blog

  • The Goon competition piece

  • An untitled animation project

  • An equally mysterious NEW BLOG!

Have I said too much?


Last thing, thank you to all my viewers, the blog has now over 11,000 views!
Remember, to find me just google 'Scotty Newton'- I'm now the first hit!

Booyah!

Scotty

P.S. A Dark Knight Rises review is coming, Mr. Wayne. I just don't want to accidentally spoil it for anyone and I'm still trying to get my head around it!








Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Scottscars 2023

    The 2023 Scottscars For the film industry, 2023 was a year of soaring highs, particularly in animation, as well as crippling strains- see the SAG-AFTA strike or the state of Marvel and DC. So grab yourself a Venti Iced Skinny Hazelnut Macchiato, with sugar free syrup and enjoy the 2023 Scottscars- the awards they all want to win, they just don't know it yet. The running order as always: The 2023 Scottsars Awards Last years predictions 2024 movie predictions My 2023 Stats Because the Scottscars are 100% my personal opinion, here’s what we’re working with! I had a very busy year doing the festival circuit across the world for my own short animated film, Candlelight , so I didn't see as much as usual in terms of feature films- although I have watched 75,348 short films this year. Movies watched: 72 Cinema : 29 times, 11 Imax Most watched actor/actress:  Jackie Chan Most Watched Director: Brett Ratner (oh dear 💀) Notable films I haven’t seen this year:  Tar Maestro The Boy an

The 2022 Scottscars

  The 2022 Scottscars Hello readers! Hope you’re both well. 2022 was a funny old year in the movies. There’s certainly a sense of Hollywood trying to find its place in the new post-covid landscape, to varying success. Disney’s MCU experiments had mixed results, with the Disney plus shows varying wildly in quality and Thor 4 being an attempt to make a film about cancer into a stand up comedy routine.  The year started with Will Smith’s slapping Oscars performance, then the world heard about Amber Heard’s dog stepping on a bee, Ezra Miller continued to be the absolute worst, Henry Cavill being in and out and all about with the Witcher and Superman, Warner Brothers showing absolutely zero confidence in their products by shelving 2 COMPLETED movies and James Gunn deciding to toss out the entire DC universe and rebooting it from scratch. But one thing that DOESN’T change is the most obscure and least renowned film awards of the year (It’s tradition now, so we're stuck with it). Welcome

Guess the Sketch!

So I've decided that my artwork's went waaaay downhill since I moved to digital sketching and inking. I still prefer digital for non messy colouring but for sketching, nothing beats a good ol' pencil. So for my first serious pencil sketch since my Sherlock Holmes sketch back in about 2008 I decided to sketch ......... Why don't you guess? Here's my first initial outlines, which to be honest looks like a troll in drag. Anyone who guesses right before I update the post with my progress can pick what I draw next! That's right people- FREE COMMISSION! Post your guesses here on the blog if you have a googlemail/gmail account or in the link on my facebook Dear, dear I've got my work cut out for me