Skip to main content

The Hunger Bore

The Hunger Bore
The Hunger Games Review


I'm probably going to get a ton of hate mail for this but I didn't like this movie. There, I said it.
Don't get me wrong, it's not Wrath of the Useless or Ghost Rider: Spirit of Humiliation bad, but I really don't see where the hype's coming from. I'll keep this one short and sweet, due to a painfully bad essay looming over me and getting ready for my new tablet =D

Doing my Susan from Narnia impression
For the second time in as many trips to the cinema, I was bored . The film dragged out, from the long build up to the games and then during the games itself. In a build up for a fight to the death, I don't want to see the combatants on a talk show, I want to see them training and atmosphere building, maybe alliances being formed and some fierce rivalries. I did appreciate that this was to show the themes and distance itself from just being another standard action flick but it just didn't gel for me. Similarly during the games too little happened and it all felt anti-climactic. Tension wasn't built up and I just wish it wasn't a 12A because if we had properly seen half the fighters dying, we might have cared a bit more.

I didn't care for any of the characters. Jennifer Lawrence did nothing to make me like her. The love story was a bit out of the blue, in fact I don't know if she really liked Peeta, or if he really liked her, or even who the guy back home was. A lot of the characters' actions seemed quite unmotivated or out of character. Peeta likes Jennifer Lawrence, yet he gangs up with the rival gang and helps to hunt her? Then he changes his mind and lets her escape? OK.... And this is a game of death and every man for himself and yet when the gang find Jennifer Lawrence they let her get all the way up a tree. Even with an ARCHER and a knife THROWER. How the heck did she manage to get out of their grip? And why would the group members not try and knife each other in their sleep? I couldn't take Woody Harrelson's character seriously, he just didn't sell the whole tough on the outside, warm on the inside routine for me. I would have liked to have seen more of the outside world's reaction to the brutality of the games. It was great when we saw District 11 rise up after the death of one of their own and it would have been really powerful to see this happen across various districts. Or do the people just not care?
He's either from the future or bar staff at BOX
Other things dragged this one's score down a bit too. 
Laughable CGI- that fire was nearly as bad as Ghost Rider's. Nearly. 
The fact that they used a washing machine instead of a tripod. Seriously guys, too much handheld camera isn't fun.
Inconsistent soundtrack. There were times when it felt like a score or just something in the background would have made things more interesting.

Maybe the books would help me understand more about this future, dystopian world. No idea, I'm just going by the film here.

It wasn't all bad though....
Costumes and hair and make up were very eye-catching and it was nice to see an imaginative take on future fashion for the wealthy, while giving the repressed workers resembling more recognisable threads and styles.
I also like the story of the film and all its themes, such as conflict, repression and feminism. It just wasn't captured in a style that appealed to me or enhanced the exciting kill-or-be-killed battle, which i feel it should have revolved around.



Best thing- Crazy, imaginative take on the future.
Worst thing- That fire CGI on their clothes.

Overall: 2.9/5

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Scottscars 2023

    The 2023 Scottscars For the film industry, 2023 was a year of soaring highs, particularly in animation, as well as crippling strains- see the SAG-AFTA strike or the state of Marvel and DC. So grab yourself a Venti Iced Skinny Hazelnut Macchiato, with sugar free syrup and enjoy the 2023 Scottscars- the awards they all want to win, they just don't know it yet. The running order as always: The 2023 Scottsars Awards Last years predictions 2024 movie predictions My 2023 Stats Because the Scottscars are 100% my personal opinion, here’s what we’re working with! I had a very busy year doing the festival circuit across the world for my own short animated film, Candlelight , so I didn't see as much as usual in terms of feature films- although I have watched 75,348 short films this year. Movies watched: 72 Cinema : 29 times, 11 Imax Most watched actor/actress:  Jackie Chan Most Watched Director: Brett Ratner (oh dear 💀) Notable films I haven’t seen this year:  Tar Maestro The Boy an

The 2022 Scottscars

  The 2022 Scottscars Hello readers! Hope you’re both well. 2022 was a funny old year in the movies. There’s certainly a sense of Hollywood trying to find its place in the new post-covid landscape, to varying success. Disney’s MCU experiments had mixed results, with the Disney plus shows varying wildly in quality and Thor 4 being an attempt to make a film about cancer into a stand up comedy routine.  The year started with Will Smith’s slapping Oscars performance, then the world heard about Amber Heard’s dog stepping on a bee, Ezra Miller continued to be the absolute worst, Henry Cavill being in and out and all about with the Witcher and Superman, Warner Brothers showing absolutely zero confidence in their products by shelving 2 COMPLETED movies and James Gunn deciding to toss out the entire DC universe and rebooting it from scratch. But one thing that DOESN’T change is the most obscure and least renowned film awards of the year (It’s tradition now, so we're stuck with it). Welcome

Guess the Sketch!

So I've decided that my artwork's went waaaay downhill since I moved to digital sketching and inking. I still prefer digital for non messy colouring but for sketching, nothing beats a good ol' pencil. So for my first serious pencil sketch since my Sherlock Holmes sketch back in about 2008 I decided to sketch ......... Why don't you guess? Here's my first initial outlines, which to be honest looks like a troll in drag. Anyone who guesses right before I update the post with my progress can pick what I draw next! That's right people- FREE COMMISSION! Post your guesses here on the blog if you have a googlemail/gmail account or in the link on my facebook Dear, dear I've got my work cut out for me